Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sweet Disposition

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

I am still in denial about the ending of summer. So let's take a look back at some of my end of summer activities.

Baseball game with favorites and some extremely tall males:





I have to pretend to be excited about Astros now that I am (sort of) a Houstonian. I just like baseball. And Powerade Tuesdays. That means $1 tickets. and $500 dollar parking. Approximately. I'm not an accountant.

Next. A super secret behind the scenes tour of NASA:


My tour guide designed those space suits. No big deal. Just protecting yo body from OUTER SPACE. He is smart. He also happens to be my love Abbey's faja. He also does triathlons. He also takes me to eat at Papasito's and brings me barbecue after church. Most importantly he is a Fightin' Texas Aggie. Whoop. Overall: winner.



Lab glasses! Gearing up to practice using the space gloves in a space like environment.



That's me. Using space gloves. With my tiny baby child hands. It was hard. And, see all those people watching? Those are real NASA people. I am not a real NASA people, and they made me sweaty. Let's just be real. I clipped those tethers like a pro though. They are sending me up to the space station STAT.



Mission Control. No big deal.



This is the Apollo 13 mission control room. They've updated a bit since then. They also filmed Apollo 13 here. Hey, Tom Hanks. That's Abigail directing the flight, and Glenn (our super secret smart tour guide) educating the educators.



THE presidential red phone. Just laughing it up with the prez. NBD.



ACTIVE Mission Control. I know it is super blurry, but that's because they have important little j-o-b-s and you can't use flash there. And it was through 2 layers of glass. And I was excited. Those are astronauts up on the screen. IN SPACE. They were studying for their space walk the next day. SPACE WALK. They were also listening to KSBJ. God Listens.



In the actual space shuttle mock up. In the Commander's chair. I was all business here. Commanding a space mission is serious. Just a reminder: I was in the actual space shuttle mock up. At NASA. What?



Abbey clearly doesn't take her job as seriously as I do. That's why she's NOT in the commander chair.



The Robonaut. He is going to space soon. You can also follow him on Twitter. One of my small group friends was on the Robonaut team. He built him. A robot that goes into space. Okay.

We also got to go to the massive pool where they train astronauts. And where they film Armageddon. And we got to see the lunar rover. And go into the space station mock up. You know, just regular.





So while my friend was building the robonaut, I was building this. It's my new reading center in my classroom. My children better beg to go in here. It was hard. Maybe not as hard as the robonaut. Maybe harder, though.




Another view. Because I can.

So there are other fun happenings, and not so fun happenings. But I have to go to school now. And build more Reading Ranch type things. Then come back and share them with you.

Over and out.

1 comment:

Malsi said...

you are one of the funniest people i know. i laughed out loud several times, i LOVE when you blog. Love.